Christian R. Muniz
Pennsylvania Government Affairs Manager
As a Manager for the Pennsylvania Government Affairs team based out of DMGS' Harrisburg, PA office, Christian provides counsel to clients on all aspects of State government. His knowledge of state government was shaped during his previous employment as the Legislative Affairs Director for the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development. During his tenure he worked with the highest level of State government, including the Governor's Office, Cabinet-level Secretaries and executive staff to develop and implement strategy. His accomplishments included, business-friendly tax credit programs and involvement with the establishment of the clean and green energy program.
Prior to joining GSP, a predecessor to DMGS, in 2010, Christian's experience includes the following:
Legislative Director, PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED), Harrisburg, PA
- Worked with the Governor's Office, DCED Cabinet Secretary and executive staff to develop and implement strategy to accomplish Administration's economic and community revitalization policy through state budget and legislative process. Acted as agency liaison to Pennsylvania House and Senate leadership, members and staff. Managed active Legislative Office of three staff known for responsiveness. Accomplishments include:
- SB 1063 (Act 32 of 2008) - organized and led statewide coalition of 20 plus business, professional and municipal associations to pass legislation to consolidate and reform the collection of the statewide local Earned Income Tax, saving municipalities and school districts an estimated $237 million annually.
- SB 1412 (Act 79 of 2008) - organized and led agency and business coalition to pass legislation that extends and expands the Keystone Opportunity Zone (KOZ) tax abatement program to attract and expand business creation across the state.
- SHB 1 (Special Session Act 1 of 2008) - member of multi-department team that successfully passed legislation establishing $650 million Clean Energy Fund for the development of solar and wind power, energy conservation, green buildings, rebates for energy efficient appliances and investments that spur green technology companies.
- SB 854 (Act 151 of 2006) - led agency efforts and worked with a key business coalition to pass legislation creating the Strategic Development Area (SDA) tax abatement program, critical to Westinghouse-Toshiba's decision to choose Pennsylvania (over six competitor states) for a new $200 million headquarters, retaining nearly 2000 existing jobs and creating 1000 new jobs.
- Extensive insight to economic development programs funded through the Commonwealth Finance Authority and the Local Share Assessment Funds (state gaming funds).
Legislative Specialist, PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED), Harrisburg, PA
- Tracked, analyzed and influenced relevant legislation regarding economic, municipal, tourism and international business that affected Department.
- Responded to all legislative inquiries.
Research Analyst for Democratic Caucus Secretary, Office of State Representative Jeff Coy, 89th District, Harrisburg, PA
- Researched and resolved constituent problems; drafted, tracked and successfully advocated passage of legislation; prepared press releases, office newsletters and legislative TV programs; wrote speeches and arranged for media-covered events. Supported district offices with event preparations including senior fairs and sportsmen events.
- Rep. Coy's leadership office recognized by Patriot News survey as 3rd best staff (of 103 offices) in the PA House Representatives in 2003.
- Primary legislative staff member assigned to Letterkenny Army Depot's "Opportunity '05" effort, which successfully protected and expanded the military base's operations during the 2005 BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure).
- Office liaison to U.S. Army War College BRAC protection effort, Cumberland County Farm Bureau, Chambersburg Area Hispanic Center, Cumberland County Health/Human Services, Carlisle Area Health and Wellness Foundation.
- Developed a network of contacts in the executive, legislative and judicial branches, as well as the lobbying community and local legislative district.
Government Affairs Coordinator, Adelphia Business Solutions, Mechanicsburg, PA
- Selected by company executives to organize and implement first-ever Pennsylvania legislative awareness effort in support of Adelphia Business Solutions and company's $228 million telecommunications state contract: presented company profile to legislators and/or staff in Harrisburg or during in-district visits throughout the Commonwealth.
Petty Officer 2nd Class, United States Navy
Christian received a B.A. in International Studies (cum laude) with Minors in Spanish, Political Science and History from Dickinson College.
Among his community activities, Christian served on the Bosler Library Board of Trustees, was a member of the Cumberland County Chapter of Good Schools PA, and currently serves on the public policy committee for the Carlisle Health and Wellness Foundation. He is a member of St. John's Lodge 260, F&AM.